August Bank Holiday weekend in Cambridgeshire means it must be Fenland Country Fair. My mum and I have been going to this for years and years, and it’s now a tradition for all the family to go every year. It’s a relatively smallish, ‘proper’ country show. As in their is none of that commercial plastic tat! There are proper gun dog competitions and clay shooting competitions, hounds, a proper WI tent that kind of thing.
If you are heading there this weekend my top tips / must sees:
- If you’ve got a baby head to the Mother’s Union tent near the car park – it’s a great free facility for baby feeding and changing. They also attend the Wimpole Show and the Gransden Show, if you are local to Cambridgeshire and like your country shows!
- Cyril the squirrel leading the terrier racing!
- The horse driving and scurry completion was great fun to watch
- The have a go timed dog obstacle course – near the gun dogs! We watched a very naughty spaniel getting to the end of the course then making a break for it into the gun dog competitions. It was great fun – even more so if you bring your dog!
- The live deer, small children can get really close to these beautiful gentle creatures
- The falconry display – again you can get very close to this magnificent birds
- Take something to sit on, e.g. A travel rug if you can, the straw bales go quickly!
- Dont forget your waterproofs, it is a Bank Holiday after all! And conversely sun cream, we had showers and brilliant sunshine on a rolling cycle the day we were there!
Tickets are £12.50 under 11’s are free http://www.fenlandfairs.com